Tires 17" 245/45r17 Price Guide

sc_toy

Hey all, this is just a convo I'm having offline and I did a little research on tire prices to replace my wearing Kumhos so I thought I'd pass it along for anyone who was wondering...

> Thanks for the reply. BTW, if you can fit a 275/40 in the rear,

> you'll get better speedometer accuracy, but if you have 7" rims

> all around, it may be too wide.

>

> Have you thought about getting 18" wheels? I'm thinking about

> that when my tires wear out.

Yeah I was wondering about width. The 275s should be 40mm wider than the 235s that are on it. So I'm trying to picture 20mm on either side of the rim. I doubt they'd balloon but yokohama says you need a 8-10" rim for a 275 methinks.

I wouldn't mind 18" rims, to me that's the largest I'd ever put on my SC, but I've already got these rims and I really like how they look. If I can't fit a 270 on the back I'll just get 245/45 all around.

What size rims have you got on there now? Also what car? If you've got a lexus you should check out us.lexusownersclub.com if you haven't already... there's a lot of newbies there but a couple of people with good info. Nothing like the old celica club though, that clubs full of good info as a lot of people track their cars.

> Also, why do you want to want to switch the Kumho tires? Any

> problems with them? Those are the ones that seemed least

> expensive to me.

Okay here are my thoughts... first a little background. I've owned Yokohama A509s (about 6 years ago), Yokohama AVS intermediates, Toyo Proxes T1-S, and now these Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s.

The AVSi's had the highest overall dry grip.

The A509s were good for straightline acceleration, but terrible in the wet.

The T1-S were great in the dry, superb in the wet, but not as much dry traction as the AVSi.

The kumhos are better than the A509 in the wet, and about the same in the dry, but is sub-par compared to the AVSi or T1-S in combined wet/dry traction.

Here's a little price chart for the available 245/45R17s and their prices from tirerack... not all tires are listed here, just the ones I hear people mention frequently (the non-runflat options, runflats are about $50 more each for applicable tires.)

[MAX PERFORMANCE]

BFG G-force T/A KD - $206

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 - $213

Dunlop SP sport 9000 - $159

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 - $187

Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar - $229

Kumho Ecsta MX - $129

Michelin Pilot Sport - $223

Yokohama AVS Sport - $152 ($225 at 1010tires.com)

[uLTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE]

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS - $192

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 - $93 ($131 at 1010tires.com)

Yokohama AVS ES100 - $116

From 1010tires.com

Toyo Proxes T1-S - $185 (should be about $140-150 elsewhere)

Okay with that knowledge I think I'm more inclined to go with the Yoko AVS sports or back to the Toyo Proxes T1-S... I have had good results with Yokohama before so I'm inclined to try them, they should have more dry grip than the Toyos, but the Toyos had such good wet traction they were a very confidence inspiring all around tire.

280 treadwear for the toyos (superior wet traction, good treadwear)

220 for the yoko AVS sport (superior dry traction, less treadwear)

280 for the yoko AVS ES100 (less wet and dry traction, good treadwear, lower price)

It's a toss up, I still think I'm going to get the AVS sports when it comes down to it.

Aaron

I have the Goodyears on my SC300 right now. In the past I had the Bridgestone Pole Positions. The Pole Positions have outperformed every other tire I have personally tried, but they don't last for more than 10K miles even if you are lucky. They stick on dry pavement and wet pavement, with wonderful hydroplaning resistance. The sidewalls are rock hard, unyielding, and had the best cornering response I've ever seen. You have to watch them though, because they can go totally flat and not even appear low. (personal experience, don't ask)

My vote is for Pole Positions if you can afford their replacement rate.