Rx-330 Transmission

motocopter

Looking for a way to modify the RX-330 5-speed auto transmission. It up-shifts way too soon and the computer (ECM?) takes too long to decide what gear to select after slowing the speed and then accelerating again. Also, the torque converter engages too late for me and is not very smooth leaving from a stop. Is a programmer available or does anyone know of a service bulletin that applies to this? The dealer wasn't any help for me and basically told me that's what it is. :(

Also, the front passenger seat is uncomfortable since it lacks adjustability and lumbar support. Is there a replacement available that matches the driver-side that will bolt right in?

Currently considering selling the RX if I can't get resoulution on these two issues. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marc

• 2 months later...

I have no issues with upshifting on my transmission. My RX shifts at redline when I need to, but I know my ES had issues on upshifting once the computer was reset. It eventually shifted at redline again after it learned my driving habits. Anyway, the RX transmission is the dumbest transmission I've owned. You need to adapt to the car. I don't have issues with the bogging as long as I use smooth throttle inputs. If I need to downshift, I move the throttle quickly and a significant amount and it downshifts fine. There are a few threads on the transmission issue if you try searching. link, link

As far as the seats go, I doubt there's a straightforward approach to resolving this issue but guys on another forum I frequent swap seats all the time. Find out what cars have similar mounting points and hopefully one has more adjustability. If not, get a seat with more adjustability and separate it from the seatrail and then figure out a way to mount it to the old hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as the seats go...

I've been manually shifting for the past few months and like that better. It doesn't require much throttle to keep the RPMs up when running through the gears (3rd through 5th). I can live with that.

Haven't had much time to work on the seat issue. I have been checking the car lots for cars that do have fully adjustable front seats with lumbar but they are rare. One was a Bonneville GTP and another was a Ford Sport-trac!

Come March we'll have had our RX for two years so it may be time to go. We have nearly 15k on the odometer and really don't want to have to pay to replace the Michelins in the next year. :unsure: