Rotors And Brakes

tikatoy1995

Hi, I need to change the rotors and brakes on my 2000 RX300. does anyone have any opinion on whether I should get cross drilled or just slotted rotors. I do not drive off road. also any opinions on Kevlar or Axxis brakes? thanks much.

Hi Steviej...actually no special reason for not going with oem parts. I just figured since its my brakes and Lexus rotors can't be cut, I may as well spend a few extra dollars and get something that will last longer. I was thinking brembo rotors. I've also read that the cross drilled takes away from braking power. I've ordered the Yokohama geolander tires GO52, which I read on this site was excellent and I know I need new rotors and brakes because they whistle a nasty tune while driving. thanks

Bett

who says Lexus rotors can't be cut. Of course they can be cut, as long as the starting rotor has enough thickness to remain within specs after the cut.

Most places opt to just go with new as the only option because it is quicker and easier.

I just had all four of my rotors cut about 6 months ago.

steviej

check out www.lexus-parts.com or www.irontoad.com for good pricing.

lexus people told me they can't be cut.

maybe they meant your particular rotors, in that case replacement would be in order. Ask them for their measurements and the accepatable specs for the 99 RX.

In general, Lexus rotos can be cut just like anyone else.

steviej

At this point I'm having a hard time totally trusting Lexus. they said I needed all four replaced as well as all four brakes. a few months ago my mechanic replaced my brakes and said there was nothing wrong with my front rotors or brakes and didn't replace my front brakes. Now my rear brake(s) are sqeaking and I was going to go back to my mechanic and I think he did say I needed rotors. Would you suggest sticking with OEM brakes as well?

bett

• 7 months later...
why would you not stick with OEM.  Are you not satisfied with them?

steviej

Steviej,

Would there be any significant benefit (pros & cons?) when the time comes when I need brakes & rotors to go with TRD rotors & pads for the 97 - 01 Camry? or just stick with OEM Lexus brakes? Which would be better or are they pretty much the exact same & what about the cost? :unsure:

:cheers: