Sirius Radio

TexasLexus94

I'm going to buy a Sirius radio-the one made by JVC for home and auto use, and the only problem I see is the installation of the antenna. The unit plugs into a 12V outlet, and connects to the existing radio with an FM transmitter. I have a 94 LS400 with that old analog phone antenna sticking out the back-I like it, even though it's useless, since I feel like Frank Cannon in his Continental. Doubt anyone remembers that far back. But I'm sure this antenna is useless for the Sirius install.

Anyway, what's the best way to install an antenna? Remove the back seat, and drill a hole in the trunk face? Then run a cable from the console under the carpet to the trunk face, and then drill a hole on the trunk lid? Seems easy enough, but maybe there's a better way.

Thanks

Don't drill holes in your car.

If you want to put a Sirius or XM system I'd replace my entire stereo setup and go with a stereo that already have the plugs ready for it.

The antennas are supposed to be mounted at the highest location on a vehicle with the minimum interference from other electrical issues.

For your setup, you can tuck the cables under the centre console, under the rear seat, and into the trunk, along the trunk hinge - to the centre of the lid. Becareful though. The rear seat on our LS's are the hardest things to remove.

For a professional look, i'd take it to Best buy or a stereo shop and pay them.

I have sirius installed in my 91 and did not need any one to do it.

If I can do it you can too.

After installation, I took it to Best Buy to see what the installer would say. He was pleased. I have the antenna mounted on the trunk lid before the break light. He said, all the antenna needed is a few feet of sheet metal around it to function correctly. I have had no problems with it on the lid -- I had it on the rear roof deck but could not find a way to stick the wire in the rain channel around the window. If you can, then go for it -- I was thinking some glue would help but the BB installer said, don't bother -- he has been very helpful, to even a diyer.

I have the wires going up the side of the rear seat and I use the hole in the sub to route the wire into the trunk and up the trunk hinge to the trunk lid. The wire is not very long, the stock one that is -- so make sure of the length first so it reach where you want it to. I ran next to the trans tunnel to the front and that works nice.

I have some pics of my install as well in the gallery -- if I find them I will post the link. The pics are of the Audiovox unit I have.

On the phone, it works for dialing 911 -- well my phone does. That is much better for that purpose than using your regular phone, especially if you are gonna be a regular wanna be traffic reporter.:-D