Picked Up My '91 Ls400!

Jouret

So I picked up my '91 LS400 last week for $5k with 98,000 miles, fully loaded except for the air suspension. Everything works, except for the LCD blackout and the headlight washer. I've driven this for a week, and I must say, I'm very impressed for money I spent. I've read the other posts regarding the 91 models and Lexus indeed spared no expense in making this their flagship car.

Just a few questions:

1. Can the antenna be replaced (it's bent and won't go down completely)? And how much does that typically cost?

2. I hear an occasional clanking sound underneath the hood when I accelerate from a complete stop. It goes away at higher speeds. Any ideas of the cause?

3. Car vibrates at about 80-85mph - can that be solved simply with a front end alignment and tire balance? or is there something particular to '91 LS400s?

Thanks much!

I just bought a '91 LS400 and so far really like it. Had the windows tinted. I replaced the front marker lights with clear lenses. Have a rear subwoofer on order because the original one is shot. Need to replace the Climate Control LCD--but when the car warms up it is still readable. Front hood struts need replacing. Now the air is acting up--won't hold a charge. And two days ago started hearing a clanking noise. A bracket broke off from the front sway bar--need to replace the bracket and bushing--on order now. You might want to check your sway bars. The vibration could be due to the tires need balancing. I figure like anything older, it will just need maintenance.

That clanking is probably from someone putting regular gas in the car. Did that by mistake ONCE and what a racket! Under harder acceleration, I still can hear a little detonation sometimes.

Fun car huh?