Am I Getting A Good Deal Or Should I Wait...

UCBerkGrad

I am interested in buying a 2004 RX330. However, if the price isn't too far apart, I may just wait until the 2005 models come out.

Does anyone know when the 2005 RX330s are coming out? I heard they are a few weeks away.

Here is what I was offered by a Lexus Dealer. Is this a good deal?

Year: 2004

Make: Lexus

Model: RX330

Type: AWD

Color: Breakwater Blue

Interior: Light Charcoal (gray)

Included options:

* FT: Alloy wheels 18"

* HH: Heated Seats

* NV: Navigation System with Rear Camera

* PT: Premium Plus Package

* TO: Towing Package (Hitch not included)

* C1: Trunk Mat

* WL: Wheel Locks

MSRP: $44,288

Price: $39,993

Thanks

From strictly a cost standpoint, you're always better off to buy a new vehicle right at the end of its model year. You'll always save thousands of dollars compared to the new model year just being introduced since dealers are anxious to unload their old inventory before bringing in the new models. It is an automatic bargaining chip in your pocket every year, regardless of what kind of vehicle you're interested in. If you're happy with the features and options available on the 2004 model, go ahead with the transaction and you'll sleep well knowing that you made a smart financial decision that your bank account will continue to appreciate for years to come.

I am going through the same decision process on the EXACT same car without the Nav. BB is the color I want as well. I see the reply was in my home town. Perhaps RX in NC can offer some regional advice.

I am getting prices from many dealers. The local dealer offering 4k off but 349 doc fee. I notice this varies a LOT from dealer to dealer and appears to be ADP (additional dealer profit). A SC dealer offered to waive it altogether. I am considering buying in SC but am told I still must by 3% NC tax rather the the flat $300 for SC.

All advice is welcome. This week I chose the RX over the MDX which was also a fine car.

cmebane,

I know of only two Lexus dealerships in North Carolina. I assume you're talking to Johnson Lexus in Raleigh. The other dealership I'm aware of is Flow Lexus in the Kernersville/Winston-Salem area.

The longer you can hold out as the end of the 2004 model year approaches, the better deal you'll be able to negotiate. Just keep the dialogue going and let your salesperson know that you're serious and that you WILL be getting your selected model from someone when the deal finally meets your satisfaction.

If you're willing to settle for a used but well-maintained vehicle (typically a well-maintained lease return), there are two high-quality vendors in our area who usually have late-model RXs in stock that are perfect or near-perfect. One is Madsen Motors in Cary, and the other is Olde Raleigh Motors in Raleigh. I purchased my wife's RX from Madsen Motors last summer, and I can recommend Wayne and Craig Madsen without hesitation. No sales crap - just cut to the chase, do your best deal, and go. I'm not willing to pay the excessive premium for a brand-new vehicle anymore, so when it's time to refresh the cars in our household I take my time and visit the places that sell late-model, like-new, high-end vehicles. I prefer Madsen Motors because of their professionalism and non-sales approach, but you have to be a serious prospect before you walk in their door or they won't spend the time with you necessary to get to their bottom-dollar price.

I recommend that you at least spend 30 minutes with Wayne or Craig before you finalize your decision to buy new. You may save yourself ten grand and drive away in a beautifully-maintained, like-new vehicle. I'll never buy new again.

I don't know exactly what "invoice" is, but my local Lexus dealer is advertising their entire stock of 04 330s for 3% over invoice. Some other good advice is to shop on the last couple of days of the month, too. That's how I got a good deal.

RX in NC has some great advice, also. If you can find someone like the the dealer he mentioned that doesn't have a million dollar showroom and a $10K per month advertising budget (like most Lexus dealers) yet still sells clean, quality stuff, you'll get a far better deal in the long run. I'm with him --- I doubt I'll ever buy a brand new vehicle again.

Hey RX in NC: Does Madsen have a website? I searched but couldn't find them online.

Stuck a deal on an 2004 AWD with the standard Premium Plus package this afternoon. Color is BB with grey leather. OTD cost is 39268 including NC sales tax. Now I just need to set up either a delivery or go to SC to get it.

While on the subject, what does everyone run in their RX? I was told to use high grade in our 99 ES. I cannot recall the last auto I owned that ran well on whatever the manual recommends. I have always had to go one grade higher. The RX is rated to run on regular but how well does it actually do? I am hoping I can at least run mid grade without pinging.

TIA

Regular 87 octane runs just fine in my wife's 2000 RX300. Every 3,000 miles or so I pop a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into the tank just for good measure. She's put 28,000 miles on her vehicle over the past year without a hint of pinging, and acceleration is fine for a baby SUV that in my opinion is underpowered from the get-go. But I drive a 5.9 liter V-8 so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.

Very intresting, the RX300 calls for a octane rating of at least 87 or higher.

Here in Texas the regular unleaded octane rating is 86. I run Premium in my RX300 which has octane rating of 91. Some gas station offer a mid-range octane of 89 but I just stick with the premium.......