Mark Levinson Audio Query

bailey

I have the 2004 RX 330 which I got last month. Its got the Mark Levinson package. With all the hype about it being top of the line and supposedly the best audio in an automobile, I had my expectations way up. But when I finally got to use it, I was quite disappointed. The sound is missing something. I get a very lean sound as opposed to something much fuller. I have tried playing around with the audio settings as explained in the manual. Does anybody know about anything specific that I may have to do and probably have missed out ?

Almost seems like the subwoofer connections are messed up or like the subwoofer itself is screwed up. Any pointers would be appreciated. Also go ahead and post your experiences with the Mark Levinson Audio in your cars.

I, too, was somewhat disappointed in the ML stereo when we first received my wife's RX330. There is not a true subwoofer in the system. It uses 6X9 longthrows for the bass. Its adequate at best. So naturally I have the BASS setting max'd out (+5). I've also adjusted the TREBLE and MID to my personal preferences (+2 and +1 respectively)

Initially, I though too much sound was coming from the front/center windshield area and that was with the "POS ALL" setting. I adjusted Front/Rear balance to +3 rear and now I'm much happier with the system.

With the respect to sound quality, it blows me away, especially in the mid to high ranges. Again, without a true sub, the lows are adequate. I've found that the ML performance is also dependent on type of music. Classical or vocal-centric its outstanding. Rap or really boomy music its okay.

Sound is so subjective that my settings may sound like crap to you but I hope this helps even just a little. I've attached a pic which shows the number and location of all the speakers and type in the RX330 ML stereo system.

Cole

post-5-1093717234.gif

Thanx cole.

Especially for the speaker placement gif.

I am kinda satisfied with my settings currently. I have the BASS max'd out, the MID is at 1 and the TREBLE at 3. It sounds pretty good when I have the Volume > 20.

Since its a Biamplified system, I was afraid that the subwoofer<->amplifier connections is where I might have problems. Now that you mention the longthrows it kinda figures.