Steering Wheel Locking Problem

MikeP

I've had my LS for about a month now and had the steering wheel lock twice. Both times there was a message that read "Check S/T lock". The first time it happened I got pretty nervous because the key wouldn't turn, although all the other "Smart Access" features worked. I sorted through my memory banks and remembered that when the wheel locks, you can turn it from side to side while turning the key and it would unlock, at least in more simple days. I did that and the wheel unlocked. Then today, the steering wheel locked up again, but since I knew what to do, I wasn't as concerned. After jiggling the wheel and turning the ignition, the wheel unlocked.

In both instances prior to the wheel locking, I turned the ignition off, got out of the car without locking it, and then within 5 minutes, got back into the car to start it again. I don't know if the sequence has anything to do with the problem, but the process was the same. I have my 30 day inspection scheduled for next Monday and will mention it to my service advisor.

Does anyone know if the wheel lock on the LS430 with Smart Access, is strictly mechanical or is there some electronic control involved?

Mike

Its mechanical. For some reason the LS is very sensitive to this. What happens is the wheel is torqued when the car is shut off and the wheel is locked under load. To keep it from happening again simply make sure the wheel is loose and straight before you shut the car off.

Its mechanical. For some reason the LS is very sensitive to this. What happens is the wheel is torqued when the car is shut off and the wheel is locked under load. To keep it from happening again simply make sure the wheel is loose and straight before you shut the car off.

Thanks, Steve. :)

• 4 years later...

This is correct. I have a 2004 LS 430 Ultra and I had this "Check S/T Lock" message where the key would not turn as well. Basically when the ignition is turned, the steering wheel comes out and sort of unlocks. At that time turn the steering wheel left or right and simultaneously turn the ignition. If the Steering wheel does not come out far enough, use the knob on the steering column to adjust the steering wheel out and down. Then turn the steering wheel right or left and turn the ignition at the same time.

One thing I noticed is that the tension or torque on the front wheels does not just have to be when the wheels are turned on your parked car. I had this happen when I was parked straight on an incline. Must be the tension on the wheels thing.

This is a great message board....it really helped me out of this bind.