90,000 Mile Service Help?

mywifeslexus

I am getting ready to pay the 90,000 mile service cost and my mechanic quoted me $900 including timing belt. I know plugs fluids etc cost but $900 seemed a bit high. Is there any of the service I can do easily myself? Does the price seem high? Any help would be appreciated.

I just had the 90k service performed on my 98 GS300 at a cost of $900. This work was done by an independent shop (staffed by Lexus trained mechanics). The cost would have been about $400 more if I had needed the water pump replaced. Since it had been replaced at 67k miles it was not necessary.

As far as doing the work yourself, I cannot help you as I am not a DIY kind of guy.

If it makes you feel any better, the 105k service on my Mercedes E320 wagon just set me back $1100.

The good news is that these Lexus cars are incredibly reliable when kept well serviced. My Benz has had more than $5,000 in maintenance and repairs over the past 13 months.

• 3 weeks later...

You can do much of the 90,000 mile service yourself. Having the correct tools is the key.

Start with your oil and filter change. The location of the oil filter on the RX300 (just under the exhaust manifold) is cumbersome but you can get to it from above as long as the engine is cool. Get yourself a Lisle spring-loaded import car oil filter wrench, part no. 63600, at your local Pep Boys for about $10, attach it to your standard 3/8-inch socket drive with a short extension, and you're in business. It will be difficult the first time, but you'll get better and faster with each successive oil change. As always, the key is to change your oil first thing in the morning when your vehicle has sat overnight - no burned hands and arms on hot oil or engine and exhaust parts.

The air filter is a no-brainer and anyone can do it. Same goes for draining and refilling your coolant system if you choose to do so.

The timing belt is a different story. If you don't know your way around an engine, it's best to leave this job to the experts. But that doesn't necessary mean paying your Lexus dealer a fortune to perform this procedure. Shop around - there are many well-respected independent shops who specialize in Japanese vehicles and have the expertise to change your timing belt for you. Expect to pay perhaps $300 to $350 for this job at an independent shop, whereas your Lexus dealer will probably want at least twice that amount just for the timing belt job and then recommend that you replace your water pump, oil seals, and maybe even your bearings at the same time as a precaution even though these components may still be in pretty good shape. If you do all these things at your Lexus dealer, you'll run up a $1,500 to $2,000 tab in a heartbeat.

The timing belt dilemma is always one of personal choice that requires much thought and deliberation. I've had a Lexus technician tell me that if the customer has taken good routine care of their vehicle and not abused its limitations, very few of these RX300 timing belts show excessive wear-and-tear at 100,000 miles. This particular timing belt is quite thick, wide, and well-made, and as one would expect it holds up better than a thinner belt would. This same technician also told me that he has never seen an RX300 timing belt fail (break) at less than 150,000 miles. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen - it just means he's never experienced it since the RX series debuted. The best thing about the RX300 timing belt situation is that unlike some Hondas or Acuras, if your timing belt breaks while you're on the road, you are not going to suffer serious engine or valve damage - you'll simply be stranded where you are and you'll have to be towed in for repairs.

So take some time, do the research, get some basic tools, and get your hands dirty with the procedures that anyone can learn to do themselves. The RX series does have some weaknesses, especially the transmission and the many sensors that tend to begin failing at between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. Spend a little time educating yourself and be prepared to handle whatever high-mileage failures come your way. Only one thing is certain - you will have some.