Is This Rx300 A Good Idea?

jvmitche

I was very close to purchasing a higher mileage '99 or '00 rx300, when I learned about the sludge problem. Now I'm feeling paranoid. Is this something that I should seriously consider, ie: maybe not purchase this model? Is there a way that a mechanic inspection could even determine if it's present? I was sure the rx300 was a good choice for me, now I don't what to think.

Second question, I met someone selling a '99 rx300 with 100,000 miles. He actually had his engine replaced 2 years ago at 86,000miles with a BRAND NEW one. While it seems like this is an advantage at first, is there anything else this sludge problem affects? Should I just avoid this car? In a way, it makes me feel better knowing the engine does not have the flaw. That said, it makes me apprehensive knowing the engine had to be replaced. He claims to have all service documentation...but....

Thanks for helping a new poster, with any luck, I'll own one soon. Oh, and if anyone wants to purchase my TT roadster, let me know -- I can't stand to trade it to a dealer. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was very close to purchasing a higher mileage '99 or '00 rx300, when I learned about the sludge problem. Now I'm feeling paranoid. Is this something that I should seriously consider, ie: maybe not purchase this model? Is there a way that a mechanic inspection could even determine if it's present? I was sure the rx300 was a good choice for me, now I don't what to think.

Second question, I met someone selling a '99 rx300 with 100,000 miles. He actually had his engine replaced 2 years ago at 86,000miles with a BRAND NEW one. While it seems like this is an advantage at first, is there anything else this sludge problem affects? Should I just avoid this car? In a way, it makes me feel better knowing the engine does not have the flaw. That said, it makes me apprehensive knowing the engine had to be replaced. He claims to have all service documentation...but....

Thanks for helping a new poster, with any luck, I'll own one soon. Oh, and if anyone wants to purchase my TT roadster, let me know -- I can't stand to trade it to a dealer. ;)

I have placed 110K miles on my 99 RX300 without this problem...knock on wood.

However, my previous car that I purchsed from mom, a 93 Camry with the same 3.0 V6 had the sludge problem. I realized it when white smoke poored out the tail pipe when I hit the gas & I took it in to get looked at. This car only had 30K miles on it.

It was obvious to everyone when the valve covers where pulled off. The mechanic did his best to clean the engine as best as possible. I then put another 30K miles on it before I sold it with no problems.

My theory based on my mothers driving habbits and talking with a couple of mechanics is that she did not drive the car far enough to heat the engine completely, she just drove short trips. She said she changed the oil regularly, so I think the sludge is due to oil not heating up completely building up the residue.

Regards,

Rex