2004 Jd Power Customer Service Satisfaction Survey

MikeP

Lincoln won?!?!?!?

Wow, my guess is this comes from the ES transmission concern and new vehicle issues with the RX330 and the GX470. It'll be back up next year.

I suspect another factor is the continuing increase in Lexus sales. I think the figure I saw for 2004 was an increase in sales in '04 of 17% over '03. I also read that Lexus continues to keep the number of dealers low for maximum profit, so maybe waiting time for service is increasing. My local dealer is building much larger facilities and will demolish the old structure, which seems perfectly good. I would bet the JD Power rating has shocked Lexus and will set the tone for some changes.

Mike

The closest dealer to me is 24 miles @ 35 minute drive. This same dealership owner has just built a new facility 3 miles from me. The new dealership is only selling pre-owned cars. So keeping the new car dealerships to a minimum could hold true to what Mike stated.

Before i got this LS430, i owned a GS. I had to make service reservations at least 2 days in advance. Good thing about the newly built dealership is that i wont have to drive so far for maintenance.

John

I don't think its that Lexus has slipped really, after reading the report, its just that these other companies have drastically improved. Lincoln, for example, was up 17 points.

Another thing is the advent of free maintenance. Everyone is happier with maintenance when they don't have to pay for it, and Lincoln's maintenance is free. BMW and Mercedes though have free maint also and they haven't improved. Eventually Lexus will have to follow suit.

I have to make appointments a week in advance, but I always request a loaner car.

Everyone is happier with maintenance when they don't have to pay for it, and Lincoln's maintenance is free. BMW and Mercedes though have free maint also and they haven't improved. Eventually Lexus will have to follow suit.

Actually, starting with MY 2005, Mercedes Benz will no longer offer free maintenance. I would not be surprised to see MB starting a trend with BMW following next. With the value of the dollar being so low against other currencies, manufacturers are looking for ways to hold the prices of their cars steady. On the E-Class for '05, MB is also reducing the content and raising the cost of options. The MB board is full of complaints about those decisions.

I think Lexus was wise not to follow the trend with free maintenance. Once you offer it, customers are very unhappy when those perks are discontinued.

Mike