92 Ls400 Power Mirrors Don't Work

budair

This is my first post on this web site. I have been impressed with the ammount of help put out to keep these fine auto's going strong. Three months ago I purchased a '92 ls400 with 162k from the original owner. The car was well maintained, all new suspention, water pump, timing belt, rotors, pads etc. etc. I have 3 issues. CLIMATE CONTROL display is black. After viewing posts I think I will go with Mikado on this one. POWER MIRRORS don't work-I've been searching this site to see if there are any other posts concerning this topic and I am unable to find one. There is power going to the module behind the switch but Mirrors don't work. Is there any club member(s) have a similar problem and could you help me in diagnosing. A new module is about $350 (Alot!). What are my options?

The other issue is the car is in need of a VALVE ADJUSTMENT (sounds kinda like a MB 300SD). Could anyone tell me the size of the shims needed and what do you think I should be paying for this service?

BTW-I have had a new Volvo S90 and a new Audi A4 2.8 over the past 6 years and I cannot beleive how great this car is with this kinda mileage. I work on the road as a rep and this car rides so much better than other car I have ever owned. I can truley understand the passion you all have for these cars!!!! BTW my other car is an "84 Porsche 911 with 9k miles so I do have an understanding of build quality.

Thanks in advence-please help.

Mike

i have some general info, not specific to the ls tho. don't know how familiar or comfortable you are with elec motors, but more often than not, if you can dissassemble them and clean them they'll work again, at worst you might need to replace the brushes...

Hi Budair and welcome. First thing I would do is check to see if power is reaching the mirrors themselves. You may be getting power to the switch but, is the switch sending power to the mirrors? I don't know about cleaning them but, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Your option could be to check junkyards the motor may be similar to other toyotas if they dont have a lexus. The other issue about the climate control is a common problem. I bought my Lcd from Mikado and am very happy with it. I did the installation myself and it works great. The valve adjustment is a bit complex and I have not done it on mine yet. Measurments need to be taken and then depending on the measurement the shim gets put in. My clicking is not loud but I may be doing it soon. Well good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

:D