1. Extended Warranty 2. After Market Gps

bmgator1964

I recently purchased a 1999 RX300 (39,000 miles). Great condition. Was curious about two things:

1.Should I get the extended warranty from the Lexus dealership? ($1,600 for an additional 3 years and 60,000 miles). I don't do much driving (only on weekends).

2.What about an after market GPS system? I am considering the Navman iCN 630? This one mounts on the dash.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

H.

I can't comment on the GPS system, but I can give you my 2 cents worth on the extended warranty. When I purchased my 99 RX with 32K miles two years ago (not from a lexus dealership....other import shop) I opted for the extended warranty. I know it isn't through Lexus & has a $50 deductable, but it is about to pay off. I think mine was around $1400 extra and I am about to use it to replace my rear main seal ($1100 from Lexus) and a strut mount (about $300 from Lexus)....so in just those two instances it will completely pay for itself. Others will say that just save that money because the odds are in the warranty company's favor & not yours....well, i am not that disciplined! It has saved my rear already, and I still have another 30K before it is up. I am always really cautious about things & have always bought the extended warranty as it gives me peace of mind....and I haven't always used it, but I will from here on out always purchase it with my vehicles.

The "Lexus" extended warranty covers quite a bit more than your average extended warranty (the tech's at the dealership pretty much have to go over the car with a fine tooth comb before delivery) and there is no detuctable......I bought mine when I purchased my 01 ES, haven't used it yet, but my regular "bumper to bumper" warranty expired while on my honeymoon so it is now in effect. No problems yet but I'm glad it's there. It covers the car till 115,000 miles I think (180,000 kms) & I'm just over 52,000 miles so lot's still to go! B) Read the fine print on the contract beforehand....with both the Lexus extended & the non Lexus warranty.

:cheers:

I've got a Garmin 2610 GPS - it's great, it has a removable compact flash (comes with 128K) which I can pop into my computer and load up with maps, routes, etc. I particuarly like the touch screen which allows for faster input (I also used this on my motorcycle, which comes in very handy.) It also comes with a remote that allows you or a passenger to enter info w/o having to pickup the unit or lean over to the dash. Its the same operation with the 2620, however, the 2620 comes with a builtin hard drive instead of the compact flash and has all the maps preloaded. For me the 2610 wins out since I also use it on my bike making the unit more suseptable to bumps, which hard drives don't like. Either Garmin makes a great choice!!