Steering Wheel Fit Differences

Steve C.

I have the opporortunity to buy one of those nice OEM wood/leather steering wheels for my 2001 300RX. The problem is the owner of the part doesn't know the part number or what year vehicle it came from. He says it fits 1999 to 2003. I believe there are two different p/n's that cover that period. Does anyone know the differences in the wheels form that period and are they interchangeable? Thanks- Steve

I don't know anything about the part numbers, but I would like to do the same thing (upgrade my steering wheel). If you find an answer to your problem, I would like to know what you find. And your parts guy - can he get another steering wheel? What price are you paying, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

The plan is to buy the wheel and swap the airbag from my leather wheel to the new wheel. From what I know, this is how it's typically done. If you have to buy a wheel with airbag installed, you're talking BIG dollars.

The local Lexus dealer will install the new wheel for one hours worth of labor. My other repair shop wouldn't touch it due to liability concerns around the airbag.

The price will fall around $350+. I haven't bothered to negotiate since I don't know for sure if the wheel will fit my vehicle.

What year is your vehicle and what color is your interior?

Does your wheel have the chrome Lexus logo on it? If so it will work, if not it will not. I believe they changed the wheel to the new one with the wood option in 01.

Unfortunately the new wheel does not have the air bag cover and logo. The idea is I would use the cover from my existing wheel after the new wheel is installed. So the mehtod you suggest wouldn't work. Any idea what the differences were when the changed part numbers fro '00 to '01? Thanks.

post-5-1088014426.jpg