Starter Issues

Definitely not as bad as the v8. But still the top bolt is pita. Then once it is free, it is interesting to try to get out. To go from the bottom, a suspension piece needs to be removed unless you can siggle it around some other way through there. I couldn't. To come from the top the lower intake is in the way and the strut tower driver side of engine bay is very tight. That is the only place with enough room. You might be able to work it out to the front of the engine bay underneath if you wrestle with it and find a way. If you hold it just right you can muscle it though where I mentioned up top through there but you will probably scratch the paint on the right there in the engine bay. Best to remove the intake manifold if you don't want to scratch anything. Then it's clear straight up.

• 1 month later...
I am getting ready to replace a starter in my '95 SC300.  Anyone have any tips on getting the old one out.  I have heard that they are not as bad to get out as the SC400s.

I replaced the starter on my 1999 SC300, 120k miles, and it wasn’t that bad. I attacked it from underneath. Took me 1 ½ hours, but would have been much less if I knew exactly how to go at it. You will need: 3/8” drive, 12 & 14 mm sockets (6 point preferred), & 28” in extensions and a universal joint.

I jacked driver’s side high enough to get both left wheels off the ground. Use the 12mm to disconnect battery and starter wires. The top bolt is hard to get to but if you use the 14mm, followed by the universal (this will allow your socket to get a good seat/bite on the bolt), then the 28” of extension (I did not have a long one and ended up putting 7 together, the less the better), it will be a lot easier. This will take you back, just past, the rear transmission mount. I used a ratchet with a pipe for leverage to break it free and after that the rest is easy.

The starter slid out under the car easily next to transmission dipstick. I installed a remanufactured Bosch #17207 from Pep Boys cost $159.00. If you have your old starter repaired make sure you have the starter completely rebuilt. It would be dumb to fix one part of it, just to have another part of it fail because of wear and age.

Good Turning