New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Model: RX 400h

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi
I am getting ready to change tires on my RX 400h
Question is -
How difficult it is for a regular Joe to change tires and bluetooth sync each tire/wheel to the on-board computer.
do I need "expert" (so called) help from a lexus dealer OR a regular mechanic / local mom-n-pop shop can do it easily.
is that documented anywhere?

Thank you
Proud owner
2008 RX 400h

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 maseace

maseace

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • First Name:Mason
  • Model: RX400h Flint Mica
  • Year: 2007

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Same as any other car with TPMS. The TPMS sensors are not bluetooth, they are regular old-fashioned radio frequency. The tire installer needs to know they are TPMS and you will probably be charged a little extra so they can replace part of the TPMS valve stem and "reset" the system.

You don't need to do anything special when rotating the tires.

There is a TPMS reset button under the dash to re-learn the baseline tire pressure if you change it. That way it will continue to alert you when any tire gets 25% below the baseline pressure.

#3 RJW VA

RJW VA

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: RX400h

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

I recently replaced the OEM tires with Michelin MXV4 S8 tires at 32K. My sense is that the AWD and regenerative braking may shorten tire life a bit. Love the new Michelins with improved ride and handling. I purchased the tires from Tire Rack and had them installed by a local Tire Rack affiliate. The TPMS sensors did not need to be replaced and there was no extra fee simply because the of the presence of the TMPS. I had to reset the TPMS system (button under dash) since the mechanic did not do that step.

#4 maseace

maseace

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • First Name:Mason
  • Model: RX400h Flint Mica
  • Year: 2007

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

My sense is that the AWD and regenerative braking may shorten tire life a bit.

How so? Regenerative braking actually has a positive effect on brake pad life (the friction brakes are used much less), and I can't imagine how it could cause tire wear. I also cannot see how electric motor power to the rear tires in certain situations would have an adverse effect on tire wear.

The worst thing I can think of for reducing tire life (for the RX400h) is being out of alignment or having low tire pressure.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have