1991 Lexus Ls 400

mike gobby

I have a 1991 Lexus Ls 400 and when i am in drive and press the break the reverse light comes on in the dash i am wondering if anyone knows why this is and if it could lead to transmission problems. If some one could help me that would be great ASAP because i drive this car everyday and don’t want it to die on me.

thanks

mike

Sounds like the famous problem with the trunk hinge wires. Find the wires that run through the drivers side trunk hinge ( pull the black trim piece from the hinge) and trace it toward the back window. remove the clips and hangers, untape and look for cracked or broken wires. Splice in new wire to repair this.

Most common wire is the white one where it connects in a sharp U at the hinge.

Search trunk wire on this forum also.

Sounds like the famous problem with the trunk hinge wires. Find the wires that run through the drivers side trunk hinge ( pull the black trim piece from the hinge) and trace it toward the back window. remove the clips and hangers, untape and look for cracked or broken wires. Splice in new wire to repair this.

Most common wire is the white one where it connects in a sharp U at the hinge.

Search trunk wire on this forum also.

thanks alot i hope it is as simpole as that

the only thing that stups me is that the reverse lights are not coming on when the light in the dash, lights up and it feels like the car is down shifting harder then it nomally does ? but i will do what you said