Check Engine Light With Codes P0402 And P1411

I am posting this in hopes that it will save others some money. I have a 97 ES300 with ~140K miles and I recently had the check engine light come on. Had the codes read at Autozone for free and they were P0402 and P1411. Since the car idled fine, I thought it might be the EGR position sensor. Checked the resistance of the sensor and it was 8.5 kOhm. According to Lexus FSM it should be between 1.5 - 4.3 kOhm. Replaced the sensor ($30 at park place lexus) and no more CEL!

Note: When you take off the connector to the sensor, you will see three pins. For this diagnostic, resistance is measured between the right most and the middle pin.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Kashi,

Had the exact same problem/codes. Popped in a new EGR position sensor and 1 week/300mi later still no CEL! I'll repost if anything else happens.

BTW, looks like auto parts stores recently changed their policy regarding reading/clearing out customer's CEL codes. Definitely helps to know someone with a code reader.

• 6 months later...