Replacing Rear Deck Brake Lamp

I must admit I have not yet crawled in the trunk to see but... is that the way to get at the brake light indicator in the rear deck behind the backseat passengers? Any tricks to get in there to replace?

(And thanks for the previous post regarding taillamp failure--I checked all my rear lamps, all working, then turned to the site to find out I had overlooked the rear deck brake light indictor!)

Thanks, the tutorial is for an older model and the speaker/subwoofer looks different but the principle looks the same so I will try that. Many thanks for the tutorial link, that should be very helpful for a number of things. Just for others who may have the same question, the tutorial provides the idea but on the 1998 the subwoofer cover and the taillamp cover are separate units. Same principle--use a screwdriver at the corners of the taillamp cover to pry the plastic cover up then twist the lamp housing to get the burned out bulb out. The owners manual lists it as lamp #921 and it is also available at the parts stores with that number for same price.

• 11 months later...

Thanks, the tutorial is for an older model and the speaker/subwoofer looks different but the principle looks the same so I will try that. Many thanks for the tutorial link, that should be very helpful for a number of things. Just for others who may have the same question, the tutorial provides the idea but on the 1998 the subwoofer cover and the taillamp cover are separate units. Same principle--use a screwdriver at the corners of the taillamp cover to pry the plastic cover up then twist the lamp housing to get the burned out bulb out. The bulbs cost about $3 each at Toyota, the owners manual lists it as lamp #911.

Thanks for the info. I should have read it earlier- I bought two bulbs from Lexus at $6 each! I will replace the bulbs tonight. Thanks again. Steve.