Slow Acting Gauge Needles - Check Battery

CUMan

I made an interesting observation over the past several weeks.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that my tachometer and speedometer needles did not immediately move when I cranked my car (1993 LS 400). Instead, after about 1-2 miles of driving, they would move to the proper positions. I assumed that I had another gauge problem involving the electronics. (Jim Walker fixed my blacking out dash late last year.)

Last week, I changed my headlights to Silverstars. To do this, I had to remove the battery. When I replaced the battery, the car would not start. It would just click. I fiddled around with the connectors and eventually replaced the positive connector when it appeared to be rather loose. The car still would not start.

I then decided that there must be some problem with the battery. I checked it with my digital voltmeter, and it read 12.17 volts. I then pulled off the covers and checked each cell with my battery checker. Five read 1/2 charge and one read 1/4 charge. So I headed off to Sam's Club and picked up a new battery.

Lo and behold, when I installed the battery and cranked the car, the tachometer and speedometer needles reacted immediately and have worked okay ever since.

Apparently a dying battery affects how well the gauges work. It may still have enough power to start the car but not enough voltage for the needles to work properly.

<_< Hmmmm. Sounds a little fishy. Is it possible one of the connectors in the back of the Guage Cluster isn't properly seated?

Let us know if the problem returns.