Advice On Wiring For Trailer

We are going to tow one of those small u-haul trailers (they call it the Sport trailer) for about 5k miles on vacation. The hitch is a bolt-on, and the trailer only weighs around 550 pounds so that should be no problem. My question is about the wiring. Everyone I ask gives me a different answer on how to wire it up. The on-line places that sell the hitch and wiring kits insist that I should use a "powered" version that runs wiring directly to the battery. A tech at the Lexus dealer says to just tap into the wiring at the rear-end ("that's how a lot of people do it"), although the local Lexus dealer doesn't actually install hitch or wiring. The shop they referred me to says they always wire to the battery. Another one in a different town says it's not necessary.

The trailer has 2 small running lights, but does use LED taillights so the current draw should be very small.

Has anyone here wired up a trailer harness? Any thoughts on how best to do it? Hints, tips? I searched the forum archives and found some topics on hitch installation but nothing on wiring.

Kind of under the gun here, need to get this ready to go soon. (We weren't going to take this vehicle originally, but now we have to - long story :wacko: )

Thanks in advance,

Mark

what are you pulling on the trailer?

If the trailer weighs 550 lbs then you can only put 450 lbs of stuff on the trailer.

I think your towing limit is 1000lbs.

Are you going to permanently mount the hitch? or is this a one time trailer use only. If it is only a one time use, I suggest not using the trailer and using an overhead Yakima or Thule cargo rack. This eliminates the wiring dilemna.

If however, your trailerables are say a motorcycle or a jet ski, then you got to really think about this one. Any good trailer hitch shop, boat yard, or even a knowledgable uhaul dealer that installs hitches should be able to help you.

again, just my 2¢

steviej