Ltuned Shocks And Springs

Hey fellow lexus owners. I just bought the complete Ltuned shocks and springs setup from Carson Toyota and put them on this weekend. But I think it is too bouncy. Do you guys encounter that same problem or do u think the setup is defective. I am running on 20's. The ride is way off that I am thinking on putting on only my original springs w/ the l-tuned shocks back on and see what happens. Any suggestions...... (I like the look but the ride is not worth it)

White 99GS 400, RodMillen Front Bumper, L-sportline rear, roof-wing, wise side-skirts....

Are you saying it is too bouncy in general? OR bouncier than stock?

It definitely did not feel too bouncy when I had them on. Much better handling than stock and much reduced float.

it is bouncier than stock. But for some reason it feels way off compare to stock... The handling is better and float is gone. me and my friend installed them.. I did not do an alignment... I don't know if that have anything to do w/ it.... but never-the-less... if i had to change back, can I use ltuned shocks w/ stock springs?.. just a backup question....

So then you are not talking about the float bouncy. Are you talking about the ride quality being a bit harsher and you get tossed around a little more when hitting uneven roads and bumps? If so, then it is normal. Although the ride of the L-Tuned S/S is not too bad, you do give up some ride quality for the improved handling.

As for using the stock springs with the L-Tuned shocks, I've never seen anyone ask that. ;) Usually people like the lowered stance and want the springs and ponder going back to stock shocks. I honestly can't give you a definitive answer.

Obviously, you would lose the lowering if you did this. Also, the handling/cornering will also be affected since the springs contribute to this aspect. The shocks dampening characteristics help with the float. Although this is an overly simplification of what the two does since they do work together, I'm just trying to say you will lose something if you go back to stock on one or the other.

i have 245-35 20's in front and 255-35 20's in rear...... and when i put passengers at the back the tires at the rear are rubbing... could i be because i have 35 series at the rear.... I guess i should be running on 30 series at the rear... the rim size front and rear are the same size.... i don't know if i should change the 2 back tires.....

Ah, I did not realize you were also running 20s. What was the stock size you had? 16s? 17s? Thei estra rubber on the sidewalls make a HUGE difference in terms of ride quality. Even if you stayed on stock shocks and springs and moved to 20s, the ride would be worse.

As for the rubbing, yes it is your tires. The stock diameter is 25.7". With your front tires, you are at 26.8" and at 27" for your rear. You are over 1" more with your rear. Going to 30 series in the back will help but it puts your diameter at 26". You will now be with front and rears at a bigger difference diameter. Running 20s, in general, will put you out of spec. Your speedo/odo will be off and you probably get a little rubbing in front if you turn your wheels all the way to one side.

One thing you can try to do is to figure out how much it is rubbing. You can shave the inside fender tab a little and that may clear it up. Honestly, I think you should have stayed with 245s all around. I can't see the extra 10mm helping that much. If you had staggered wheels and went 275s in the back, then yes 30mm is a bit more substantial. You lost the ability to rotate your tires for 10mm. I don't think it is worth it but that's just me. ;)

Not sure about your wheels and its offset but if the offset was not too aggressive, another option was for you to put small spacers in the rear to push the wheels out a bit for that more aggressive look without going to 255s.

right now I need to change a tire, I went into a pot-hole and the right rear tire got ripped at the side... there are too many pot holes in NYC. So instead of buying 1 255-35 20s, i should just get 2 245-35 20s right... do u think that would make more sense... and I guess the rubbing will not be there..... thanks for your help....

Yes, I would move to 245s. I don't think 255s will make a big difference, not like going 275s or 285s. What 245s gain for you is tire rotation to prolong tire life. The diameter is not as tall, although .2" is not significant but it may be just enough to help with the rubbing. You also lose 10mm so that the tires are not as flush with the fender. This will also help towards rubbing.

Of course, I am talking in pretty general terms since I do not know the specs of your wheels: width, offset.

Hey fellow lexus owners. I just bought the complete Ltuned shocks and springs setup from Carson Toyota and put them on this weekend. But I think it is too bouncy. Do you guys encounter that same problem or do u think the setup is defective. I am running on 20's. The ride is way off that I am thinking on putting on only my original springs w/ the l-tuned shocks back on and see what happens. Any suggestions...... (I like the look but the ride is not worth it)

White 99GS 400, RodMillen Front Bumper, L-sportline rear, roof-wing, wise side-skirts....

Can you tell me...just how bad the ride is. I was thinking about doing 20's but I do not want a rough ride. How much did your setup cost all together?

Its not that bad afterall. (**What happend was the guy who put the springs and shocks forgot a part...so it was not setup correctly which caused the car to bounce a lot**.) I had it fixed and it rides fine now even w/ the 20's. After rolling on 16's or 17's for a while you get accustom to it. So when I changed to 20's the ride felt a bit rough but after a while it feels good. You just have to be carefull w/ potholes, it can put a dent in your wallet. The ltuned setup cost about $550 shipped from carson toyota. On level roads, the ride is great, over bumps it can feel a bit rough but nothing too crazy. Ltuned give the car great handeling and eliminate the float, plus a nice look..... i only had it for a few days but so far so good.... except i have to change my rear tires...

Its not that bad afterall. (**What happend was the guy who put the springs and shocks forgot a part...so it was not setup correctly which caused the car to bounce a lot**.) I had it fixed and it rides fine now even w/ the 20's. After rolling on 16's or 17's for a while you get accustom to it. So when I changed to 20's the ride felt a bit rough but after a while it feels good. You just have to be carefull w/ potholes, it can put a dent in your wallet. The ltuned setup cost about $550 shipped from carson toyota. On level roads, the ride is great, over bumps it can feel a bit rough but nothing too crazy. Ltuned give the car great handeling and eliminate the float, plus a nice look..... i only had it for a few days but so far so good.... except i have to change my rear tires...

That is good to hear. I did not remember the L-Tuned being that bad but I was riding on 18s. Plus, ride quality is VERY subjective. What is OK for one person may be really bad for another.

Glad you got things straightened out.

I just wanted to comment on my first statement. First of all there was a problem wrong with the installation which caused the ride to be bouncy and not that good. I had the problem fixed, then I had my car fully aligned, change the back tires to 245-35 (thanks to Neo for his advise), so there are no rubbing, and then I balanced all 4. It made such a drastic improvement on the car and the way it rides. Thanks guys.

• 9 months later...
Hey fellow lexus owners.  I just bought the complete Ltuned shocks and springs setup from Carson Toyota and put them on this weekend.  But I think it is too bouncy.  Do you guys encounter that same problem or do u think the setup is defective.  I am running on 20's.  The ride is way off that I am thinking on putting on only my original springs w/ the l-tuned shocks back on and see what happens.  Any suggestions...... (I like the look but the ride is not worth it)

I just wanted to comment on my first statement. First of all there was a problem wrong with the installation which caused the ride to be bouncy and not that good. I had the problem fixed, then I had my car fully aligned, change the back tires to 245-35 (thanks to Neo for his advise), so there are no rubbing, and then I balanced all 4. It made such a drastic improvement on the car and the way it rides. Thanks guys.

SweeeT I just ordered my 20's today.... Cant wait to put them on.. then Ill see If I really want to lower it or not....

SweeeT I just ordered my 20's today.... Cant wait to put them on.. then Ill see If I really want to lower it or not....

I think you will want to lower it. 20s on the GS without lowering will look like you are in an SUV. Remember that the typical tire size for 20s is 1" larger than the OEM spec. You will be even higher than the stock GS. Your wheel gap will decrease a little but the cumulative effect is not flattering (at least IMO).

The L-Tuned shocks and springs are being cleared out right now so this might be a good time to jump on this:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?partid=129

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?PartID=128

And if you enter the code S481 (expires 3/31), you will get a nice surprise (price discount). ;)

Enjoy.

• 8 months later...

:cheers:

I think you will want to lower it. 20s on the GS without lowering will look like you are in an SUV. Remember that the typical tire size for 20s is 1" larger than the OEM spec. You will be even higher than the stock GS. Your wheel gap will decrease a little but the cumulative effect is not flattering (at least IMO).

The L-Tuned shocks and springs are being cleared out right now so this might be a good time to jump on this:

And if you enter the code S481 (expires 3/31), you will get a nice surprise (price discount). ;)

Enjoy.

I decided to lower it... with coilovers.... and I think imma pick up the artisan kit...... Once I get the beater/daily driver clk and get in and out of police academy im planning to do some engine work... I LOVE MY TOYOTA! LOL :cheers:

• 1 month later...

:cheers:

Enjoy.

I decided to lower it... with coilovers.... and I think imma pick up the artisan kit...... Once I get the beater/daily driver clk and get in and out of police academy im planning to do some engine work... I LOVE MY TOYOTA! LOL :cheers:

Sweet. Which coilovers did you go with?