White Smoke From My 2008 Es350

PaulyWally

Hello

I just bought a 2008 Lexus ES350 with 79,000 km. I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe at the start, and even after 25 mins of city driving (although less smoke). Temperature outside was 12 to 17 degree C. I worry I might have a damaged engine gasket or worse. Took the car to Service at Lexus, and it passed a combustion leak test and a misfire counts test; they recommended 'good highway drive to clear engine or exhaust',

Anyone has the experience or advice? Should I be worried about the smoke?

I'm considering buying a Third party warranty, and I've been advised it's a waste of money, any thought?

• 1 month later...

White smoke is common when starting a car especially on cooler days. The smoke will be thin and disappears quickly. This is the result of normal condensation buildup inside the exhaust system.

However, thicker smoke is a problem; it's caused by the engine burning coolant. This can be the result of a blown head gasket, damaged cylinder head, or a cracked engine block. This type of smoke can be identified by a radiator reservoir losing coolant and a somewhat sweet smell at the tailpipe.

Don't know about third party warranties.

• 4 weeks later...

Third party warranties are a waste of money on a Lexus in my opinion. The brand is ranked the most reliable car in the world by Consumer Reports with the ES350 the best of the best. I've been offered such warranties on my 2008 ES350 for years. Why do they keep offering them? Because the insurance companies know this model of Lexus, on average, is the least likely to breakdown of all cars on the road. I'm about $7500 richer today because I turned down all their offers over the past eight years. Total repair costs for me with 95,000 miles on the car is $90 for a battery cable.

• 1 month later...

A battery cable is an odd item to need replacing at 95K.  Our 07 ES350 needed a new radiator by 110K; and the ADP pulley in the alternator froze at around 130K and fried the alternator.  That was a PIA to replace.  Haven't had any other issues.  Car is now at 170K and running good.