Vsc On, Vsc Off, Check Engine Light On. Mechanics Have No Idea.

jmas4321

hi,

I have a 1999 es300. I have taken it to a mechanic several times for this same problem and they cannot figure it out. When I take it in they usually clean the MAF sensor and the O2 sensors and reset the computer, this works for a short time. Before my VSC on VSC off and check engine light pop on, the car starts to feel like it is miss-firing for a while (anywhere from 5min-5days before the lights). sometimes it will also not shift past 2nd gear when the codes pop, but its usually the same codes. I have already tried replacing the MAF sensor and both O2 sensors with no help. There seems to be nothing happening that is obvious to cause the engine to start missing. I have tried multiple mechanics that are all confused as to why this problem keeps emerging. Is there anything anyone can think of anything else that would cause this? It just happened again and the current codes are P0171 and P1153.

Jmas4321,

I had the same problem with my 1999 a couple years back. I changed the upper O2 sensor, near the fire wall on the exhaust, and my ignition coils. The lights went off and have stayed off. Knock on wood. The coils look hard to change, but it wasn't. I only had to take off the plastic manifold cover. There is more than enough room to get you hands in the back area to get the coils out and put them back. It took me about and hour to change the coils. Hope this helps. You can find the coils on eBay or other Auto sites ranging from $75 to $150.

• 3 weeks later...