Exhaust / Muffler Etc

ge0rgy

Hello! I just got a second car for the family.

I want a little more power out of the LS400.. she's 180k 1991 model. Everything works great.. flawless!

I've read a bit about changing the exhaust to an X pattern? People said 15-25 HP increase.. that's good enough for me.

How much does something like this typically cost? Any other "little" things to give a little more HP?

Changing this does it also change the sound? I'm on the fence.. I like it quiet, but hearing the V8 would be nice also.

If you have any recommendations I would very much appreciate it!

On my opinion you are crazy to touch the beautiful exhaust system. Replacement exhaust systems often suffer leaks and rattles. In order to have it done correctly you will be into big bucks. If I was to do anything I eould just change the factory mufflers to magnaflow units. Of course cutting out a perfect system is not something I'd do. I doubt you would gain enough horsepower to even notice.

Again, just my opinion.

Ohai! Thank you for your opinion. Haha. Well, I would hope no leaks or rattles. I do not mind spending 500-1000 which seems to be the price for the good ones.

You think the assumption of like 15 to 25 HP is bull*BLEEP* for a good exhaust change?

No, I doubt you'll get that much. Man, I drove that same car and it is already really fast for a 4000 lb car. I drag raced and Acura RSX off the line and held exactly even. I will assume you already have a K&N air filter. Dumping weight is the best thing you can do for speed.

Of course you might also want the sound. Just today I saw a guy with a Gen 1 with tires and exhaust both aftermarket. Ivan see spending a grand for the sound but not for the performance. Hope you understand

Denny