Help With Engine Misfire

nikik

I'm desperate for advice. A few weeks ago my check engine light started flashing while driving and I barely made it home. It was jerking and little power with a bad smell. Got it towed to a mechanic and after all was said and done they quoted me $3800. From what I've researched on here is an engine misfire and the mechanic verified that, but added on a ton of stuff... change all of the cylinder coils, spark plugs, timing belt and other things because of an oil leak, engine mounts and more. I guess my question is if it's worth getting any work done on it or should I just try to get it off my hands? I'm an unemployed student and really don't have the money to throw away.

nikik,

I've been around long enough to know that there are a great many less than honest mechanics and dealerships out there. Now, that may not be the case in this instance, but my advice would be to get another opinion before you jump in and spend any money for a fix.

There is a good possibility, that you need just a new set of spark plugs, or possibly a coil pack, etc. As for any of the other issues you've been quoted, they well may be problems of a much lesser nature that really don't need attention right now or never. Many places can justify almost anything to pad the bill and make themselves more money.

Get another trustworthy mechanic to check the car out. If he comes back with the same diagnosis, then you have a decision to make. But I'm betting that the fixes needed are no where as extensive as you've been quoted.

BTW: You don't need to take the car to a Lexus dealership where it will cost big time for any service work. Any independent mechanic can do this same service for a labour rate much less than Lexus will charge. And your car is really a gussied up Camry, many of the same parts are on both cars, and any mechanic who can work on one of them can do the work on your ride. Good Luck! I hope it all works out for you.