Brake Pedal Goes To The Floor.

Flat6

My wife's '94 ES300 has 103k miles and the brakes give me some questionable action when sitting still. If the car is running and I press the brake pedal, it will go to the floor if I keep pressure on it. However, if I'm moving and hit the brakes it will put you through the windshield. I had a Lexus dealer tell me that's normal, I told him I've been driving longer than he's been breathing and asked if he had any other suggestions. No comment then. I'm wondering if the m/c is in need of repair/replacement or the power booster....or both. While I'm at it, I want to flush the entire brake line system. I plan to replace the rear pads in the process. Any suggestions on where to begin looking, my first thought is the m/c needs to go.

Flat6,

I think you're on the right track with your diagnosis, either the Master Cylinder or the booster. I'm leaning towards the MC.

You might try another independent mechanic's thoughts on the issue.

I've changed several over the years myself and its no big deal, but much easier to bench bleed it before you install it on the car.

If you find the Lexus cost too high, try the Camry MC for a V6 of the same year. It should be the same unit, but priced lower. The Camry V6 pads and rotors are identical, although some of the slide pin rubber gaiters are not. Good Luck!