Considering Extended Warranty

I just traded in my 2005 430 LS Ultra (best car I've ever owned) and bought a new 2013 LS 460. I didn't buy the extended warranty for the 2005 and never had a repair for which I would have needed it. I know the new one is more complex. Should I buy the Lexus Extra Care Platinum extended warranty? If yes, can I price shop it among several dealers, or do I have to buy it where I bought the car? Thanks.

Hi Rich D and welcome.

As a rule, extended warranties mostly benefit the dealer. They are a high profit item and many people seem to misunderstand they don't need it. Why.

You just bought a brand new LS460. It has a bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles. During that time, Lexu,s with the 2013 models, is recommending that you change the oil only once a year. I don't think you would need an extended warranty to cover that.

At the end of 4 years you still have protection on the drive train. The drive train is covered for 6 years or 70,000 miles. With this length of no cost coverage that comes with the car, and the quailty of the beautiful LS It's my opinion to keep the $ 2, to $3,000 in your pocket and enjoy your great new car.

• 2 weeks later...

I never buy the insurance offered on most of the things I buy - except with the Lexus. My LS430 was near flawless as well but I sold it when it had a year left on the extended. The LS460 series has not been as reliable so I am again glad I have the warranty.

A number of other owners have opted for the extended warranty. While Lexus drivetrain reliability is pretty good (although I have had transmission problems - now solved) it is all the other technology that could fail that will drive up ownership costs without a warranty. If the display screen fails that alone would cover the extended warranty cost. Not to mention other big ticket items like sound system, radar cruise, suspension, etc., etc., etc.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for sometime the extended warranty buys a lot of peace of mind and most are transferable which is a good selling point.