Rear Brake Pad

At my last WOF inspection I was advised by the mechanic to change out all the brake pads. Because it was easy to do I removed a front pad and scaned it and made prints of the scans so that I would have a better chance of getting the correct pad. The part warehouse was happy to see the picture but really did not need it because the New Zealand Vehicle Register holds VIN Vehile Identification Numbers locking the parts to truth from my number plate. I was therfore told with geat certainty that the rear pads were not available for the Lexus.

However a similar part from a Corrola Gt front was a guaranteed substitute with the removeal of a tit on the backing that stops the Corrolla piston rotating.

Has anyone else done this?

The Corrolla part was considerably cheaper but probably only for its higher volume of sales.

The new pads are Chineese and are good performers. Progressive with more bight than the stock issue. All of the wheel wobble has disappeared from a lube of the front caliper sliders. The stock pads lasted over 100,000. The new ones may wear a little quicker if the dusting is an indicator.

Graeme

Graeme,

You don't give a year for your ES, but the same year or generation of Toyota Camry V6, uses the same brake rotors and pads. (The various rubbers for the slide pins are not the same, however. At least that's how it is here in Canada and the USA.)

You may be able to get the rear pads for a Camry, and they should be a direct fit. I can't see the smaller Corolla, 4 cylinder, having enough rear brake material to to stop a V6 equipped Lexus ES, but ....?

If you're so inclined, you'll get the pads you need from eBay suppliers, some with free shipping, but then again, you are in NZ. I can't say how that'll work for you. Good Luck!

We do get some value from the six monthly Warrent of Fittness checks. The motor engineer charge out rate is $75 an hour. For a vehicle that he knows and saw only six months ago he can easily beat that rate on WOF inspections and still do a super job. I am priviledged to to do the resultling general maintenance myself confident that there is first rate help if I stuff up. The parts warehouse was probably speaking of his own stock rather than a NZ wide situation. My ES 300 1996 rear brakes will be lazy compared with the work done by front pads of a Corrolla. I was warned that the hand brake shoes would be very much more cost. Those ones if I ever want them will come from a wreaker and most likely from a Camry.

I have seen the super value of USA parts. Cf NZ the whole kit for water pump belts wheels and seals can be cheaper than just the water pump in NZ.

Off topic. Suzuki Wagon R+ inner tierod ends cost me $400 for the pair and the engineer is saying that they are loose agian after only 10,000. When they fail for a WOF the knackered parts could be sent to USA for guaranteed correct replacement. There will be plenty of change from $400.

NZ government is currently trying to figure a way of collecting G.S.T. on overseas purchases. It is a growing market that is for sure.

Graeme