Cel And P0128 Code Stored

CinRedMan

Hi all,

Back on 5/11/13 I purchased a used 2003 RX300 w/97k miles. One owner and after loading the VIN into myLexus, a complete service history.

Anyhow, in the past month, the CEL VSC lights have come on, stayed on and then gone off. Each time, using a scanner, the only code showing is P0128.

Based on what I've found, this code indicates thermostat issue as the engine has not warmed up with-in established time limits. Likewise, I've read there is some type of "bug" in which anytime the CEL is illuminated, the VSC also lights up.

So, my conclusion is that the thermostat is stuck wide open, resulting in the engine failing to reach optimal operating temperature.

As I am a DIY kind of guy, replacing a thermostat is no big deal. In fact, the "big deal" appears to be removing all the crap which blocks access to the thermostat.

But, before I go tearing into this item, figured I would post and ask for other's experiences with this code/condition.

Of course, if I do end up replacing the thermostat, I will contribute pics and steps...