2007 Rx350 Brakes - Horrible

We've been having problems with spongy and weak brakes on our RX350 for a couple of years, multiple visits to dealer hasn't resulted in any improvements, and they've done both pads, rotors, and it's still not great.

Symptom: There's just a lot of delay from applying the brakes for them to work and unless you slam, it will not stop, so it's kinda difficult to do a smooth, gradual stop.

Any ideas? Is it just the nature of this car? or it's something that can be updated? like pads? or fluid? etc...?

Thanks

Spongy brakes always means there is air in the system. This also causes the delay in braking. The reason is that air can be compressed, fluid cannot. When you step on the brake normally with air in the system, the first amount of pedal travel goes to compressing the air before any work can be done by the calipers. When you stomp on the brake, the air is still compressed, but you don't realize how fast you just compressed it and the brakes grab right away. The difference is in how fast you compressed the air. On this car, you must get a competent dealer (or a mechanic with Techstream) to bleed the brakes properly. If someone just bleeds the brakes in the traditional method, you will not get all the air out. This is because air can be trapped in the anti-lock brakes part of the system. The Techstream software has a brake bleeding function that will energize the anti-lock brake system so the system can be thoroughly bled out. Personally, I think the brakes on my 09 RX 350 are some of the best I've ever driven. Get it done right and you will be happy.