Possible Solutions For Leaking Windshield Seal..

mlgbwk

Long story short, my 99 ES300 windshield was replaced a few yrs ago and apparently the body shop guy did not do a good job. The result is that I can hear and feel (at both top corners) wind leaking in cabin at 50mph+. :wacko: Also it looks pretty bad from outside.. yes just like kids playing with some black-color glue or someone just spent 5 mins sealed it after putting new windshield on...

I tried using some 3M black tape to cover around the windshield, hoping for reduce leak and whistling noise a bit, it didn't work. That tape does not stay on that glue-ish thing and it fall off in a few days. So... is there anything else I can do to make it slightly better?

I don't really care how it looks from outside, and water does not leak in (as I can see), but the wind noise is really annoying and I know I am not driving a convertible.

Thanks!

Tony

Obviously the only way to correct the problem is to pull the windshield and reinstall it properly. If you have wind noise, you will have water leakage into areas where there will be electrical short circuits and rust outs that will be very expensive to repair down the road.

That said, you might try a tube of Automotive Goop. Its a tube of clear sealant that can be squeezed into the cracks around the mouldings or between the gasket and the glass. You might get lucky.

I agree. I had an issue with an old replacement windshield as well. Find a reputable windsheild replacement place and ask for a proper reinstall.

Do not use Goop as if you have issues and need to re-pull the windshield it may prove to be imposible to do cleanly without damaging the trim.