Sc 400 Maf Questions

charsc400

Hey guys,

I am in need of a Mass Airflow Sensor for my 1992 Lexus SC400. I was wondering what I should be wary of anything when buying a new one/ used one ie. is going aftermarket a bad call?, and other. The production date on the car is 11/91. I was told that the date is very specific, however it doesn't seem that way from the online options.

The car's got 270,000 miles on it, so I just need to get her healthy again, no need to drop a grand on a sensor.

Thanks,

Charlie

• 1 month later...

Nothing really you can tell by physically looking at them. I would try and clean yours with some real MAF cleaner that IS recommended for Toyota and Lexus MAF sensors. If it is indeed bad, and you have tried cleaning them, I believe the MKIII supras from 87-92 are the same number and you might have a better chance of finding one of them in a junk yard for cheap. GL.. I have already sold mine when I did the motor swap, sorry.

• 3 months later...

92 models use a karman vortex MAF (think it changed in 95) and should not be cleaned with the MAF cleaner, threads i read said to clean with compressed air for that year.

Good luck

sc4 is correct. all Lexus models 1995 and older are equipped with an AFM, which uses karmen vortex air meters to detect air flow and gas mixture. If cleaned with some MAF spray, the AFM will be ruined and most likely will have to be replaced. Old thread...watch where you post sc4...