Wheel Coating Corrosion

I have looked back through other complaints with similar problems over the past few years. I have seen no closure from a Lexus service representative posted. My GS300 (2006) also has corrosion between the substrate and the top coat appearing in the form of "bubbles." My wheel are not chrome, they are painted/coated silver; I am not sure of the process, paint or epoxy. It seems like a common problem not associated with the region the vehicle is located. The wheel supplier may have a cleaning issue prior to the coating process, a substrate/material issue, or a coating process issue. I hope to provide Lexus with enough information so that the concern may be noted on the supplier concern board and address during their asaichi meetings; so that this issue can be addressed for future models as an SE manual launch review issue.

If there is a Lexus warranty engineering team member reviewing this site, please review the attached photos. I would love to provide the actual wheels for analysis with the supplier. My email address is attached to my log-in ID if you wish to contact me.

I have looked back through other complaints with similar problems over the past few years. I have seen no closure from a Lexus service representative posted. My GS300 (2006) also has corrosion between the substrate and the top coat appearing in the form of "bubbles." My wheel are not chrome, they are painted/coated silver; I am not sure of the process, paint or epoxy. It seems like a common problem not associated with the region the vehicle is located. The wheel supplier may have a cleaning issue prior to the coating process, a substrate/material issue, or a coating process issue. I hope to provide Lexus with enough information so that the concern may be noted on the supplier concern board and address during their asaichi meetings; so that this issue can be addressed for future models as an SE manual launch review issue.

If there is a Lexus warranty engineering team member reviewing this site, please review the attached photos. I would love to provide the actual wheels for analysis with the supplier. My email address is attached to my log-in ID if you wish to contact me.

post-143228-0-92585200-1344784157_thumb.

post-143228-0-82809400-1344784159_thumb.

post-143228-0-68663200-1344784161_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought an 06 GS myself. I'm surprised this is occurring so quickly. This process generally takes years to happen.

I believe the factory uses a primer and then powder coats and seals the paint. From your pictures I'm thinking the sealer has failed or moisture has leaked into the paint and is starting to corrode the wheels. You should consider refurbishing the wheels to stop rust from forming.

Are you considering replacing or repainting the wheels?