Timing Question...

Hey Guys- I had a quick question for you- I'm changing my timing belt for the first time- i know really exiting right - but here's the thing- you know how the manual and everyone says to turn the crank and make sure that the timing marks are all lined up after two revolutions- no one says what to do if they are not lined up- and i'm not talking about the installation marks on the belt itself; but the marks on the actual timing cover and cams/ crank etc- i haven't started yet but i like to know what to do if i were to run into any problems- thanks for all of your input and i know that timing questions are a little over done-

IF you are very careful aligning the marks when you install the new belt, the marks WILL necessarily have to be on the money when you rotate crank two revs.

And if not, you simply get to start all over again pulling the tensioner and compressing the pin, setting the crank to TDC (on cylinder #1) and cams to their marks until you get it right. Thats why it is super important to be extremely thorough on the first pass. You can 'right a wrong' but it will cost you some time.

BTW, do you have an SC? Did you know there is a separate forum for that model? (this is the ES forum... but the advice still applies).

If you slowly and carefully rotate by hand and feel (or hear) a metallic 'clink' and/or encounter stiff resistance, you would want to stop immediately and not force it. I do not believe you would do any lasting damage by hand as long as you are not overly forceful.