White Smoke When I First Start Car

Hello group. I have a 95 ES300 thats smokes when I first start it but when I drive for awhile it goes away. It also leaks coolant somewhere by the front passenger tire. The leak only happens occasionally and it's more of a drip than heavy leak and I can't find where it's coming from so any help will be much appreciated!!!!

killamilla,

Nice webname BTW!

Two issues cause smoke at startup. One is the piston rings have worn to the point that oil is getting past them, or one piston has a ring that is sticking. This usually occurrs on a high mileage car.

The other cause, which is what I think you have based on the age of it, is worn/dried up valve guide seals. I had a Cressida (an 82?) that would smoke at start up and then not again until the next day. The dealership pulled the valve cover and spark plugs, and pressurized each cylinder separately to keep the valves closed. Then they removed the valve spring and changed out the seals.

Unless you're a backyard mechanic, I'm sure its a $500 job.

As for the slight coolant leak on the passenger side, that's where the water pump is. You most likely will find that the coolant is leaking out from the weeping hole on the bottom of the pump shaft, meaning the water pump bearing is going bad and has started to ruin the seal. That means a new water pump, and the timing belt has to come off to get at it. Coolant from here will ruin the timing belt.

There is the possibility that you have a leaking hose to the radiator or to the heater. The only way to tell is to get under the car and search.

Good Luck