Driver Door Power Lock Suddenly Failed

99 ES300 Wife was driving the car and problem came when I tried to moved the car to garage..

When I unlock the door by pressing once on remote, there is no response, I did hear a light "click" sound but driver door didn't unlock as usual. Then I click twice (to unlock all doors) using remote, all 3 other doors got unlocked.

At the beginning I think remote got problem, but then I tried to use the control button on driver's door panel, unlock and lock - all other 3 doors worked, but not the driver door. Is the powerlock actuator failed? How much will it cost to fix?

it's a old car and I am not sure if I'd spend $400 on fixing such thing. Could it be relay instead of actuator?

The key still works, just no action inside the door panel for powerlock.

ps: there is a square -shape button beside the powerlock button on the control panel, is that window lock?

Thanks guys!

mlgbwk,

Your lock actuator for that door has gone bad. Usually, it can be fixed, and I've done many over the years on various cars and models. It is a DIYer, if you're a backyard mechanic and tinkerer, who's been in the backyard a while.

Basically you need to take the lock actuator out of the door and take it apart. The motor needs to be cleaned up, particularly its brushes and the armature. These motors are small, not any bigger than you find in children's toys and the washer pump for your windshield. Its fiddly work, and delicate, and you need to have patience for tackling this job.

Baring that, just replace the lock actuator with a used one from a wrecking yard. Remember that the same generation Camry should be a direct match as well. Good Luck!

Thanks gbhrps!

believe it or not.. that thing comes back to alive yesterday morning... for no reason. It just started working again like nothing happened. The day it went bad was pretty hot, but I am not sure that makes a difference, anyway I think the driver door power lock actuator is used most and maybe it's signaling its age.

Your lock actuator for that door has gone bad. Usually, it can be fixed, and I've done many over the years on various cars and models. It is a DIYer, if you're a backyard mechanic and tinkerer, who's been in the backyard a while.

Basically you need to take the lock actuator out of the door and take it apart. The motor needs to be cleaned up, particularly its brushes and the armature. These motors are small, not any bigger than you find in children's toys and the washer pump for your windshield. Its fiddly work, and delicate, and you need to have patience for tackling this job.

Baring that, just replace the lock actuator with a used one from a wrecking yard. Remember that the same generation Camry should be a direct match as well. Good Luck!