Ls430 Randomly Starts Bouncing Like Crazy -- No Rhythm Or Reason

LS430FallsChurchVA

Any thoughts on why my 430 starts randomly starts bouncing like crazy? It tends to happen right after it starts up and begins moving, But there's no reason why it stops. Sometimes it does it during an entire trip. Other times it appears to "heal" itself and stops within mid-trip.

On a related matter, I thought it might have something to do with the Sport/Normal setting so I clicked it from Normal to Sport and back to Normal. When I clicked it back to Normal I pushed the entire switch through the dash front. How can I get behind that section of switches to push it back flush??

I love this car but it appears a bit haunted of late.

Thanks. JG

You will be on Air suspension so there is lots to go wrong, do you have any dash warning lights on?

It may be worth checking the height sensor control links as these were a common fail point on the earlier LS400 and I think the same system was carried over to the LS430.

Struts are designed to prevent your vehicle from bouncing around excessiively. I would get the struts checked immediately. I have air suspension on my 1994 LS400, and OEM replacements were not cheap. I found a company, Arnott Industries, who sold me front air struts for literally half the dealer cost. They came iwth a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, they no longer make them due to lack of demand (they said). You can also convert to coil spring (they offer a kit which costs around $700 for all four).

Any thoughts on why my 430 starts randomly starts bouncing like crazy? It tends to happen right after it starts up and begins moving, But there's no reason why it stops. Sometimes it does it during an entire trip. Other times it appears to "heal" itself and stops within mid-trip.

On a related matter, I thought it might have something to do with the Sport/Normal setting so I clicked it from Normal to Sport and back to Normal. When I clicked it back to Normal I pushed the entire switch through the dash front. How can I get behind that section of switches to push it back flush??

I love this car but it appears a bit haunted of late.

Thanks. JG

If the bouncing rate increases with road speed then you have failed/failing driveshaft needle bearings.