Electrical, Shutdown

jimboo363636

While replacing the battery in my 98 Lexus LS400 I momentarily crossed polarity. I can start the car but have lost all other power: doors, lights and gauges. I assume a blown relay. Is there a particular one to start checking?

While replacing the battery in my 98 Lexus LS400 I momentarily crossed polarity. I can start the car but have lost all other power: doors, lights and gauges. I assume a blown relay. Is there a particular one to start checking?

Hi Jim and welcome to your Lexus Owners Club.

So far, it looks like no one has loged in with a solution. I am not an expert with this type of problem but do have one thing that you might check.

I know little about the 98' year models, but in the latter year cars, there is a 120-140 amp fuse that is on top of the alternator. I would think that taking a hit like crossing the two poles together might blow that link.

It is not a ordinary little auto fuse, it is a special bolt on style if my memory is correct. However, remember, I'm not sure your model year even has this fuse.

P.S. I did a search of the forum and found this reference to the fuse on a 93 lexus. So hopefully this may help you fix the problem!!.

"I have an 93 sc400 lexus and the alternator fuse has went out and i have no power to my car except the headlghts. I'm trying to figure how to take the fuse out to replace it. It looks like its in by ascrew but its an bolt i was wondering is there anyone out there has changed one or can tell me what to look for if I'm having alternator problems"

Paul