Cherry Red Exhaust System

threepwood

I have a 1992 LS400. Has been running fine, no issues, ~156k on car. Original owner. Used as a daily driver but only 1.5 miles each way to/from work. Car was running fine last Sunday, took it shopping. On the way to work Monday morning it bogged down, would not accelerate past 20mph, had to put my foot to the floor to get it to work. Felt a lot like water in the gas. When I got to work put in neutral and reved it up to 5000rpm for a bit, hoping to blow it out. Smoke from under the car. Got out, looked under car. Pipe between resonator and right side muffler was glowing cherry red. Other pipes might have been red also but i didn't notice. Shut everything down. Limped it home that night, parked over concrete, looked under car, no red pipes. Very rough idle. All of my 'car' friends say plugged catalytic converter. Can catalytic converters, resonsators, mufflers plug that quickly and without warning. PS - NO check engine light and I check for codes anyway, no engine codes.

Thanks for any help.

My guess is a dead ignition coil on one bank causing that fuel to get burned in the exhaust system hence the red glowing and rough running engine. A coil is a lot cheaper than CATs. Also CATs wouldn't fail as abruptly as you experienced, it would be a gradual onset.

I'd search on ignition coil and you'll find many ways to diagnose it further.

I'm fairly confident this won't be as bad a fix as you may be thinking.

My guess is a dead ignition coil on one bank causing that fuel to get burned in the exhaust system hence the red glowing and rough running engine. A coil is a lot cheaper than CATs. Also CATs wouldn't fail as abruptly as you experienced, it would be a gradual onset.

I'd search on ignition coil and you'll find many ways to diagnose it further.

I'm fairly confident this won't be as bad a fix as you may be thinking.

Absolutely right !!! You nailed it! I can't thank you enough. It was the #1 coil, below the battery. The obvious coil on top was fine. Like I said, many many thanks, you saved my Thanksgiving vacation :)

you saved my Thanksgiving vacation :)

..."All of my 'car' friends say plugged catalytic converter"...

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Tell your 'car' friends they owe you drinks next time out for the unnecessary pain and suffering their advice gave you! :cheers::cheers::cheers: