Help Me Out - I Need A Part

Hey there.

A part on my '01 GS 300 (heat shield?) broke off and I need to get a new one.

It's a metal plate that is attached to the underside of the intake runner right over the exhaust manifold.

post-9901-1269058184_thumb.jpg

(Well, I figure Lexus put it there for a reason, and that reason is to keep heat off the intake runner and I assume that without it my car will burst into flames as I cross the California desert in mid-August.)

The problem is - the dealer doesn't sell the part alone.

It comes as part of the Intake Air Connector Sub-Assembly.

post-9901-1269058194_thumb.jpg

The quote for that is BIG$ and I'm not about to spend tons of money for a piece of sheet metal.

I know - it looks like it would be easy enough to remove the broken tabs and somehow spot weld them back on, or to fabricate new ones, etc.

But I don't have access to any welding stuff, have never done any, and don't know how to go about it.

I have some simple hand tools and thats about it.

So, if any of you have modified your car with an after market intake, or know of anyone who has - let me know.

Thanks much for your help.

Hey there.

A part on my '01 GS 300 (heat shield?) broke off and I need to get a new one.

It's a metal plate that is attached to the underside of the intake runner right over the exhaust manifold.

post-9901-1269058184_thumb.jpg

(Well, I figure Lexus put it there for a reason, and that reason is to keep heat off the intake runner and I assume that without it my car will burst into flames as I cross the California desert in mid-August.)

The problem is - the dealer doesn't sell the part alone.

It comes as part of the Intake Air Connector Sub-Assembly.

post-9901-1269058194_thumb.jpg

The quote for that is BIG$ and I'm not about to spend tons of money for a piece of sheet metal.

I know - it looks like it would be easy enough to remove the broken tabs and somehow spot weld them back on, or to fabricate new ones, etc.

But I don't have access to any welding stuff, have never done any, and don't know how to go about it.

I have some simple hand tools and thats about it.

So, if any of you have modified your car with an after market intake, or know of anyone who has - let me know.

Thanks much for your help.

Don't even worry, your car would be fine without that heat shield. If you want that part alone, and want to spend less money, i suggest you fabricate your own heat shield. It's not that hard to fabricate heat shield that little. Just go to home depot and buy yourself a sheet of sheet metal for about 6 dollars and cut it to the appropriate size, spray it black, drill some holes and you're done. You WILL smell some paint smell from the paint for about a week, but it's normal.

OR!

Stick some Heat resistant pads under that area. (if you're a lazy S.O.B who don't care how is engine looks.)