Rx 350 Or Rx400h

Hi,

I just moved to the US 2 mths ago and now need to purchase a vehicle. I was initially torn between a BMW 3 series and Lexus RX but finally decided to go with a Lexus (with a nudge from the mrs!). So after searching for a while for a 3-4 yrs old Lexus RX that's within my budget, I have finally narrowed to the below but cant seem to decide which one to go for.

1) 2007 RX 350

2) 2006 RX 400h

The RX 400h costs $1000 more and has had an accident in 2008 (based on CARFAX). Both the cars have approx the same mileage (55k) and both are CPO so they come with the 3yr/100k warranty. I am not particularly interested in hybrid but with the minimal price difference thought it may be worth a try due the potential savings on fuel.

The car will be the main (n only) family car. Will be used mostly for city driving and my office is only 1mile from home.

With these in mind, all else being equal, any ideas which one i should get ?

Oh ya, i'm also not at all a tech person so dont really know much about cars (if that's relevant).

Thanks in advance and looking forward to be a Lexus owner and partaking in this forum.

Rgds

Is the Rx400h a CPO from a lexus dealership? I don't believe a car can become lexus CPO certified if it's been in an accident (but could be wrong). I know a CPO cannot have more than 3 body panels with body or paint work, not including bumpers. So I guess if it was in an accident, it was only minor, so that's good.

Personally I would stay away from a car that has accident history, unless the damage was only minor. Ay frame damage could lead to problems in the future, and may conflict with safety.

But if you can confirm the damage is only minor then it's ok.

How long do you want to keep this car for? The 400h may become pricey in the future with costly batteries etc...

I wouldn't make your decision based on the assumption you will save enough gas to make the extra purchase cost worth it... The mileage is only a few MPG better, and since your travel times are short, you probably won't save that much per year. You'll probably spend more money maintaining the 400h than what you'll save on gas.

I would suggest the 400h to anyone who wants to have a more "unique" vehicle. It's pretty cool to be cruising around parking lots completely silent, and the 400h is a little more powerful than the 350. Most people think the 400h would be slower than the 350, but it's actually a little faster. The Rx400h is more of a performance hybrid rather than a fuel saver.

So it all depends on what you expect from the 400h vs the 350. If all you want is to save money, I don't think it's a good bet...

Plus, in 07 Lexus upgraded the vav system with a little more clarity and brightness, and a few other things were upgraded for the 07 RX year. So I would spend a little extra for an 07 rather than an 06.

Thanks cduluk for the feedback and yes the 400h is also certified.

Anyway your comments is exactly what i wanted to hear and really helped to provide the nudge to get the 350 instead of 400h since $$$ was the main factor (the post warranty maintenance issue was a good point that i overlooked). Plus i prefer the colour on the 350 than that on the 400h. So now am all set to seal the deal and bring the car home (hopefully the dealer hasnt sold it yet! ).

once again.. thanks.

Probably too late, but I would have gone the other way. In the warm weather I can easily get around 8l/100km, vs the 12l/100km a friend with a 350 is getting. Moslty city driving is where the hybrid shines, and a gas engines sucks. On the highway, the hybrid and the gas are closer in consumption. A quick check at www.fueleconomy.gov shows 27 city vs 17 city and 25 highway vs 22 highway (hybrid vs 350).

Normal maintenance is no worse on the hybrid for normal things (oil, spark plugs etc.) and better for some - (like the brakes won't have to be replaced as soon on the hybrid due to the regenerative braking). At some point you may/will have to replace the traction battery, but you're looking at $2-3000 as of late, not 5000 or 8000 like all the chicken littles claimed when the hybrid first came out.