1993 Gs300 Engine Install

I am installing a new engine in my 1993 lexus gs300. I attempted to spin the crank on my new engine and it reaches a point where it is really difficult to turn. I actually have to place a leverage bar on it to continue to spin through the cycle. It is not a compresson point though. Could this issue be that the engine is locked up? Please advise. Also when I attempt to spin the crank on my old engine is has resistance but still spins. It is no where near as hard to spin as my new engine. Could this be because there is not oil in the new engine?

Spin it will the spark plugs out. It may have an oil caused hydraulic lock, if it was shipped on it's side. Removing the plugs will confirm and cure that. If the tight spot remains, then water may have got into a cylinder and caused rust, which will also cause it to be tight. Remove the valve cover and watch the valve movement. If any have excessive "lash" then that valve is bent. Perhaps it tossed the timing belt in the past.

Don't install it until you figure it out - it should move very smoothly with the plugs out.

You also don't specify what you mean by "new engine" - rebuilt or wrecking yard?

Spin it will the spark plugs out. It may have an oil caused hydraulic lock, if it was shipped on it's side. Removing the plugs will confirm and cure that. If the tight spot remains, then water may have got into a cylinder and caused rust, which will also cause it to be tight. Remove the valve cover and watch the valve movement. If any have excessive "lash" then that valve is bent. Perhaps it tossed the timing belt in the past.

Don't install it until you figure it out - it should move very smoothly with the plugs out.

You also don't specify what you mean by "new engine" - rebuilt or wrecking yard?

Sorry about that homie,

it is a used engine from a 96 SC300 81K. So what you are saying is remove all of the plugs and then try and spin the engine again correct. What do you mean by "lash". Thanks for responding..

Lash is the distance from the cam lobe to the follower on top of the valve spring. If the valve is bent it won't seat properly and leave a huge gap for lash, instead of the rather tight proper clearance. You'll see.

Yep, pull the plugs to check for hydraulic lock.