Replaced Starter Still Won't Start

jayturk99

Hi forum,

I have a 1993 LS400. I replaced the starter and now the car still will not start. The starter is spinning now, I checked the power and it seems to have power to the coils but I am not getting a spark down to the plugs. The starter relay has been replaced along with the battery terminals. I took out the plugs and they were dry so I don't think fuel is getting to them. Car drove fine until starter got stuck. Any insight into what can be going on is appreciated.

So it cranks (turns over fine) but will not fire and run. Is this correct? Does it even try to fire?

I would imagine that some connector was not put back in place. Take a look around and do a thorough re-check of connections... both electrical and

vacuum/fuel.

Did you do the work yourself?

Thanks for the reply. I had a mechanic do the job, claims he had done a few of them. Cars turns over sounds like it wants to start. Mechanic checked the sparkplugs and they are not getting fire, plugs were dry so they may not be getting fuel either. I thought the starter had been disabled, so I tried locking and unlocking the passenger door, also looked for a cluster of wires in the trunk that could possibly ground out starter, did not see a cluster. Car was driving fine, except for starter issue. I tried starting fluid no luck. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I would start by rechecking all the electrical connections are made as there are many sensor plugs to disconnect and reconnect during replacement of the starter motor, particularly the crank sensor wiring, camshaft sensor wiring and although I don't think this would prevent starting the 2 knock sensors in the engine V just in front of the starter motor as these are easily damaged during the starter motor removal/fitting if care is not taken.

I assume the battery was disconected during fitting so recheck the immobiliser and main fuses in case anything is wrong in that department.

As you had, and therefore assume paid, a mechanic to do the job I would therefore say it is his responsibility to return the car back to you in the same condition you gave it to him except with a fully working starter motor.

• 2 weeks later...

had same problem.. do a engine diagnostic and if u get 14 replace crank position sensor and reset code and fire that mug up it will. but u said there is no spark to either coil pack check the ignitor under fuel relay black box. look on ebay for them around 30 dollars bargain price those two things gives it spark then crank up car trust me