Power Steering Issue

Schanen

I have a '93 LS 400 with 162k miles on it. I am having to add power steering fluid (ATF) every 2-3 weeks. There is an obvious leak but I am unsure of where it's coming from. Any known issues with the PS system on this car? How can I determine where the leak is? Anyone recommend Lucas Power Steering leak stop?

I have a '93 LS 400 with 162k miles on it. I am having to add power steering fluid (ATF) every 2-3 weeks. There is an obvious leak but I am unsure of where it's coming from. Any known issues with the PS system on this car? How can I determine where the leak is? Anyone recommend Lucas Power Steering leak stop?

Any known issues? Wow, this is the biggest issue of all on the 1990-94 LS400. Everyone of these cars have had or will soon have a power steering leak. Its a proven fact. NO - I dont recommend that stop leak, I tried Lucas PS stop leak and it only SLOWED the leak. I used three bottles and it still leaked. There are posts and threads on the LS400 power steering leaks that will stretch from coast to coast. Its a very common problem. I had a leak for two years. Turned out being the short return line thats on the back side of the reservoir. It was a hose that had rotted and was hard as a brick. $1.85 for a new hose. Its just a 3/8's hose... about 8 inches long.

Determine where the leak is? Well, the best way is to do as I was I was told to do, you need to clean up the area... cover the alternator with a bag or something, get high powered degreaser and clean up the power steering pump area and remove the under engine cover and clean all of that up. It could be your pump, a hose, rack, etc.