93 Ls400 Problem

falon

I had taken this car to get emissions done on it and didn't pass the test. There were two levels that were high on the report. My brother asked someone who has some knowledge about this car and he said to clean the intake manifold and replace the spark plugs. I cleaned the intake manifold with a cleaner from an auto part store and replaced all the sensors, etc... Now the car runs ruff, has a tapping noise (i think it's coming from somewhere around the throttle body) and the muffler will pop on the occasion. All things that were not going on before I took off all the sensors, electrical plugs, nuts, bolts, fuel delivery rail, metal fuel lines etc...

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for any help.

ps... I am not an experienced mechanic. my brother did help with this whole process and he has worked on cars at a shop.

I had taken this car to get emissions done on it and didn't pass the test. There were two levels that were high on the report. My brother asked someone who has some knowledge about this car and he said to clean the intake manifold and replace the spark plugs. I cleaned the intake manifold with a cleaner from an auto part store and replaced all the sensors, etc... Now the car runs ruff, has a tapping noise (i think it's coming from somewhere around the throttle body) and the muffler will pop on the occasion. All things that were not going on before I took off all the sensors, electrical plugs, nuts, bolts, fuel delivery rail, metal fuel lines etc...

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for any help.

ps... I am not an experienced mechanic. my brother did help with this whole process and he has worked on cars at a shop.

Hi, I'm no mechanic either thought mechanically inclined. I don't know this to be the case with your scenario but what I learned when having my TPS sensor changed by watching the mecahnic is that it is not just unbolt, replace and rebolt. Rather, they take resistance readings as they adjust the position of the sensor ever so slight. just a fyi. don't know if this is also applicalbe to other sensors too.

Frank