In Case If Anyone Needs Extra Key(s) And Does Not Want To Go Pay A Lot

rlx101

..to the dealer. all you need is your key code (on the card that came with your wallet key, if you dont have one - call/go to your dealer, ask them to look it up by your vin #) and uncut blank key with or without transponder. then find a locsmith that will cut your key from your key code, program your new transponder (DIY posted on the board) and you are all set.

Costs break down:

$10 blank key (more if you need new transponder, but you can re-use your old one)

$30 to cut

vs. $150+ at the dealer

i hope this will save someone some $$$

enjoy!

p.s. here is one place that cuts keys for you via mail: cut service. Key shells can be bought from dealextreme for cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
..to the dealer. all you need is your key code (on the card that came with your wallet key, if you dont have one - call/go to your dealer, ask them to look it up by your vin #) and uncut blank key with or without transponder. then find a locsmith that will cut your key from your key code, program your new transponder (DIY posted on the board) and you are all set.

Costs break down:

$10 blank key (more if you need new transponder, but you can re-use your old one)

$30 to cut

vs. $150+ at the dealer

i hope this will save someone some $$$

enjoy!

p.s. here is one place that cuts keys for you via mail: cut service. Key shells can be bought from dealextreme for cheap.

This is great information, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a new key blank as well as two other ones with transponders off of remotez4less on E-bay for a very reasonable delivered price of ~$140.00 total. The Lexus dealer, Bobby Rahal, in Camp Hill, PA., then cut the blank keys for me for $10.00 each, which is a lot less than the $30.00 in the E-bay listing you posted.