Dash Lights And Car Going Dead

mister j

I have been having trouble with my 92 Lexus LS 400. The car keeps dying and stoping. There are several lights constantly on in the dash: battery, brake, tail lights, house for coolant and could be more. I have also had a bearing replaced and moaning noise was coming from my power steering, but after not driving it a few days...it stopped.

If anyone has any solution as to why my car keeps going dead and these lights are constantly on or why the power steering had what appears to be a moaning noise coming from it, feel free to comment. btw, i've had the power steering pump serviced before.

I have been having trouble with my 92 Lexus LS 400. The car keeps dying and stoping. There are several lights constantly on in the dash: battery, brake, tail lights, house for coolant and could be more. I have also had a bearing replaced and moaning noise was coming from my power steering, but after not driving it a few days...it stopped.

If anyone has any solution as to why my car keeps going dead and these lights are constantly on or why the power steering had what appears to be a moaning noise coming from it, feel free to comment. btw, i've had the power steering pump serviced before.

Before someone else says it and I know they will... have you checked the wiring harness at the trunk hinge for damaged wires? Notorious issue on these cars and caused alot of quirks.

Hi,

Both #1 and #2 may need to be checked. Do the dash lights all come on at once when RPMs drop (or do they go off when RPMs go up?), if so, chances are very likely it's your alternator. You may first want to check the simple and easy things like the positive terminal connector on your battery; corrosion on this unit causes all sorts of weird problems.

If your PS is leaking fluid onto the alternator, its just a matter of time before the alternator bites the dust. If it is the alternator, and your PS is leaking, obviously you will also need to fix the PS too or the new one bites the dust too!

If you have to replace the alternator, there is somewhere in this forum universe a picture of an alternator with a rigged plastic cover made from a clorox-like bottle cut in such a way to cover the alternator very nicely. I just wish I had seen that picture before I replaced the alternator on my '92LS.

If you do have to go into your trunk, the left hinge is the one that hides the offending bunch of wiring that may have more surprises than you expected.

Anyway, good luck with this

B)