Problem With 92 Ls 400!

koots

Engine Fuel Injection system could be in open loop mode or limp mode. Open loop mode means engine runs intentionally rich as the O2 sensors are warming up. Faulty O2 sensor could keep it open loop perpetually.

Limp mode would be due to some failure in fuel injection system, likely MAF but less likely causes could be fuel pressure (fuel pump, pressure regulator, or fuel filter), dirty or plugged injector(s), faulty throttle position sensor and so on.

Either fault should result in a code in the ECU log so probably best to get a reader and see if an obvious failure has been detected already before you start changing things.

• 3 weeks later...
help!

If its completely balless and acts like sometimes it wants to die then check you spark plug wires. Mine was acting like a bad fuel pump and was a sporadic problem but then got worse. I figured it was the spark plugs needed replacing but turned out the spark plug wire to the coil on the driverside was arcing against the valve cover. I replaced the wires and plugs while I already had everything apart. Then cleaned the throttle body too. Car runs like a MILLION bucks! These are Great cars. Also the surging problem at about 45mph went away too. I've read some people thought it was a bad torque converter. May want to do these things first before going through changing torque converters. This is a much cheaper fix. If you replace your own wires, BEWARE OF THE DRIVER SIDE COIL WIRE GETTING CUT BY THE CAM GEAR.