Door Lock

Lert

Hi,

Recently my 1990 ls400 driver door lock stopped working. The only way to unlock the door is to insert the key into the key hole and turn it. So basically, pushing the button on the key unlocks all the other doors except the driver one. Furthermore pushing the button on the inside of the car near the master window switch has the same effect. I was wondering if anyone knows which part i need to replace to fix this problem?

thank you,

Albert

Well could be several things. A couple of suggestions.

Try listening with your ear very near or against the door and pop the door locks. Can you heard the lock motor (similar to a solenoid, it moves the mechanical mechanism in the door) running inside the problem door? If you hear nothing in this door but you heard the click in the others it could be as simple as a broken wire (common failure in door hinge area due to repeated flexing of wires each time door opened) or maybe the lock motor is broken.

If you hear the motor inside the door working then it could be the linkage mechanism has just come loose and disconnected or it is broken or bent. You’ll have to remove door panel to get a look inside.

If I were to take a complete guess I would say a broken wire is most likely cause. The ear test will tell you one way or another.